Restoration of Pulaski Monument, Savannah, GA
Restoration of Pulaski Monument, including disassembly and reassembly
Originally carved in Italy, shipped to America in pieces, then erected in 1854 in Monterey Square adjacent to the famous Mercer House in the heart of Savannah’s Historic District, the 54' high Pulaski Monument had developed cracks and had become significantly stained. By the late 1900's the monument was in desperate need of restoration. ICC was awarded a series of contracts over the course of 3 years from the city of Savannah to first disassemble, then restore and reassemble it.
The monument was originally constructed in 34 Carrara marble pieces standing on a multi-piece granite base. The pieces were carefully disassembled by ICC and moved to a nearby facility where they were cleaned and the cracks repaired. The granite base was left intact and restored on site in Monterey Square. Each piece of the monument was carefully marked during disassembly to ensure an historically correct reinstallation.
A steel frame was custom designed, fabricated and installed by ICC to facilitate the disassembly/reassembly process. This frame was designed with bolted joints at strategic points. In many cases the steel frame sections were designed to lift off, stabilize for transport and then store a corresponding marble section.
Markings found on one marble section indicated that it was originally installed upside down. That piece was intentionally reinstalled upside down by ICC to maintain historic accuracy. During disassembly another more interesting discovery was made. A small metal box was discovered inside the granite base. Although later DNA testing was inconclusive, an engraved stone covering the box bore an inscription leading authorities to believe the remains of General Casimir Pulaski, the man to whom the Pulaski Monument is dedicated, were located in the box.